Sunday, March 10, 2013

Beautiful Day - in more ways than one

Oh, we are so spoiled here in the Carolinas. After a cold week, we had the most beautiful day yesterday. It was even more beautiful because I got to ride my girl. I called to her from the van on the way in, and by the time I grabbed her halter and got to the gate of her pasture, this is what I saw:

Where's my peppermint?


She's too much.

I brought her in, and she hesitated a little before she would go into the grooming bay. I gave her a lead rope a little tug and in she came. She then promptly pooped a nice steaming heap on the concrete floor of the bay. It occurred to me that every time she hesitates going into the bay, she poops. So I'm a little slow on the uptake! Next time she hesitates, I'll lead her into an outside area. I'll still have to scoop it, but it won't require the same hosing off process. Smart girl, trying to tell me. The upside is that I had just read an article on how it's a good idea to check your horse's poop for various health signs. I'm happy to report that her poop looks great, as far as poop goes. I'm also happy to report that I did not feel the need to post a photo of it here.

I also rode her a little, believe it or not. And she was great. Our issues in the past have been that 1) she would not walk in the ring (instead "jigging" or doing a little trot, the whole time) and 2) once she would walk in the ring, after I did trot her intentionally, she then would not want to walk. Yesterday, she walked perfectly, then when she trotted she came right down to a walk again. She did start to liven up a couple of times on the straightaways in the arena, as if she were going to break gait, but I just stopped her and petted her. I would take a deep breath that she could hear, then she would take a deep breath that I could hear, then we would walk on. The vet told me not to trot her much, which was good because my legs are shot after not having ridden much. (Riding Ike at a sitting trot is so easy, it really doesn't count as riding practice, or even exercise. He's wonderful.) I was flopping around up there, and not posting nearly as well I know I can. So we will get in shape together. Although she'll still be so much better looking. Which is not exactly shocking news.

When we were finished, I took her over to graze in the nice grazing spot by her pasture. We weren't there 5 minutes when we were joined by these two cuties.

Best buds. Now that Ginger has overcome her
urges to beat his butt.



Ginger wandered off after she figured out no peppermints were in the offing, but that sugar lump of a horse Reebok stood there looking delightful.


Sweetness. Not that I'm susceptible to
that sort of thing. 


This is now my favorite picture of him.


Then I had an appointment to keep to go meet someone with a small horse farm. I had spoken to this nice lady when I was looking for a new place to board, and we finally agreed on a time to meet. I had so much going on this weekend, but I think she was beginning to think I was blowing her off, so I went on out. I'm glad I did. She used to raise Arabians, and had her sweet and beautiful brood mares there. She also takes in rescues (which is what started our conversations). As we were walking around meeting the horses, she paused to make sure part of the electric fence was connected, and I kept walking to the pasture. When I got there, this little cutie came up to the fence and gave me a long and thoughtful look. I spoke to him a little, and he came a little closer.

This is Marvin. Once severely abused, now
permanently adored. He is the picture of health,
and very beautiful. He's probably about 12 hands tall.



Isn't he adorable? He is a hinny, which is the result of the breeding of a jenny (female donkey) and a stallion. It's kind of the reciprocal of a mule, which is the result of breeding a mare and a jack (male donkey).

When I turned around, his owner was looking at me in shock. She told me his story. He was found and caught after being loose in the area for around two years.  Between his extreme fear of people and the evidence on his body, it was clear he had been severely abused. There are gunshots on his shoulders, and all his ribs on one side had once been broken. She said it took months to get him to leave the far corner of the pasture even to come eat. She has had him for two years, and he usually comes over to the fence only with her, when she is alone. She had fully expected him to head directly to the far corner upon my approach. Instead he came over me on his own, and stood there while we talked. I felt so honored. It just filled me up to be trusted by him. There were a lot of fun things I could have done yesterday, ranging from a beer festival to a trail ride to just hanging out longer at the barn, but something told me to keep this appointment. This guy made me glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment