Friday, March 8, 2013

Cold Weather and Dinky Snobbery

This week was hard on me! I had a great time over the weekend with my boys (including my husband) in the cold snowy mountains, getting a last blast of winter before Spring. And boy did we get a blast on Sunday. It was freezing with an icy wind when we went tubing. I was cold, hungry and exhausted, and then I had to just tell myself to relax because we left way too late for me to see my girl on Sunday.

It was windy and cold (by Carolina standards, which may be hard to stomach for people in places where Winter is, well, wintery, for the whole season) on Wednesday, and I was tired and stressed but I knew the cure. I got in the car and got to the barn in time for feeding time. The only problem was I had been to the eye doctor, and my eyes were still slightly dilated so nothing had sharp edges. I tried to help feed the horses in Skye's pasture, but I could barely see to put the halters on. Skye was both impatient and perplexed, wondering what was wrong with me. Gray, that perpetual sweetie pie, was as good as gold, but the others couldn't figure out my problem. What's so interesting is that they could instantly tell I was not as I usually am, as my attitude shifted as soon as I realized I would have to fumble through it. By the time they had finished and I helped put them back in the pasture, their attitude was different.  So gentle. Of course, then their bellies were full, but still.

A formal dinner in her evening gown. Still pretty.




That Reebok boy. I think he looks like he's smiling here.
He too is in his formal attire. Rescued indeed, wasn't he?
He seemed to so glad to see me.




I did love on that girl for a minute, but my hands were stiff and I couldn't see, so I figured I would just get a general horse fix by hanging out in the barn out of the wind and love on the horses who eat in their stalls. On the way in, I stopped by my van to see if I could get some carrots to share, but I had locked my keys in the car. Luckily, this kind of bone-headed thing is unusual for me, and Dave was probably on his way home already so he just kept going south to unlock for me. The only reason this matters is that I then had only cookies to feed the dinkies. As you can see at the link below, they don't give a damn about a cookie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXMMXYlcQ1Q


I love the roundabout way they come to me, in a single file. One of them ate a cookie, but the others blew me off. Skye would sell my soul to the devil for one of those apple cookies, but these guys want carrots or nothin'.


When I got back I hung out in the barn admiring the three black beauties. I took this picture of them while I was talking so it is blurry. Apparently I am incapable of talking and shooting pictures at the same time.


Bon Jovi in the lime green, Black the Friesian in the middle,
and Incredible Ike himself at the end.


Finally Dave got there to let me in. It was so cold not even he wanted to stay out in it one more minute, and I'm pretty convinced he's about 60% polar bear , with his platinum blond hair and weird propensity for camping in snow.

Tomorrow we'll have highs in the 60's and sunshine. Riding weather at last.

Oh, and we go to daylight savings time over the weekend. Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment