Thursday, November 1, 2012

Missing me or moody?

Aagh!  I couldn't get out to see my girl for four days this week. Between work stuff and kid stuff and Halloween, there just wasn't time. It did tell me how often I do get to see her though, as this is the only time since I got her that I have gone that long without seeing her when I was not actually out of town.

But today I finally got down there, even if not for long. She saw me coming from across the drive, left the hay and other horses and met me at the gate. Happiness! Alas, though, she was in a bit of a bitchy mood. She constantly mugged me for treats, didn't pay attention in leading (she didn't stop when I did, and so had to be backed up a few times), and resisted, just a little bit, but still a little, about walking into the grooming bay. Then she had her not-very-happy look most of the time.  Here it is:

not thrilled, apparently


Although I would like to think she was mad at me for not seeing her for the past couple of days, I know it is really that she thought she had got rid of me and that she could carry on her life of being the boss of everyone that really matters to her, i.e. her little herd. But I have already learned that the cure for that is working with her more, not less.

I was happy to see that she is, in the space of that four days, quite a bit woolier than she was on Saturday.  Cool and Wren were nice and fuzzy on Saturday, but Skye still felt pretty slick.  When I got her in March, she wasn't that wooly, so I've been worried that she wouldn't get a good coat. It was a warm winter though, so maybe that had something to do with it, although I've been told that it is the hours of daylight that actually determine the timing of the coat at least. In any case, she was a fuzzy wuzzy today, even if she did not have a good attitude about it.

Better. She looks inordinately huge here. Like a bobble-head horse.
I need to bring my fisheye lens.



And speaking of fuzzy wuzzies, for your viewing pleasure, the dinkies!

My favorite dinky, Echo. He is so excellent. Clearly.





Or, for a good time, take a gander at this little guy:


Munchie contemplates the universe.
As well he should.




That's a closeup of Munchkin. If I had my way, this is what you would see if you looked up "cute" in the dictionary. I just had the iPhone camera, which I think is remarkably good, but I need my good one to get a really good pic of the miniature horses because they move a lot and I need a faster shutter speed. Still, they are almost more than I can stand.

Mistletoe and Munchkin. The Mincredibles.


And naturally, they too are rescues. Wonderfulness that someone else could do without, apparently. But not me. Not me.

On the way out, I saw Skye look up at the van as I was driving out, so I put down the window and called to her. She immediately hustled over to see me. No, it's not a trot yet, but it ain't a meander either, thank you very much. So I got out and gave her a rub. And so she gave me this.


Yup, that's her tongue.


Which is plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment