Saturday, October 27, 2012

Just Whinny For Me

So the shocking news for today is that Skye has come up with a new way to charm me down to the souls of my feet.

Yesterday I took off after lunch and headed to the barn. It was pretty quiet, so I groomed her and worked her in the ring on the line. She was a little pushy and testing me at every turn yesterday, so I worked her a little more and ended up better than where we had left off the last time. It's like she just has to get the last word in sometimes but once I move her feet around and get her listening again, she's right there for me.

So then I put her in the cross ties for a minute, following Clinton Anderson's advice to let the horse be tied for a few minutes to absorb what she has learned, then went out of the barn for a moment. I ran into Woody, Erin's husband, who was building a gate, and stood talking to him for about 10 minutes. Well, according to my girl, that was ten minutes too long, and she let out a huge whinny, calling for me. I went back in to see her, and there she was, looking at me like "where have you been?" I went right over and loved on her, then I left her again for a second and went to put some apple cookies in her food tub.

No sooner had I disappeared around the corner to get her tub, then she let out another one. It's so funny.

So I gave her the cookies in the tub, but she still kept mugging me for more of them as I went to put her back. She has no control when it comes to those things.  I don't know if I will even buy more when they run out.

Today I went out again, later than usual since I had stuff to do with the boys this morning. I had her out and was grooming her when feeding started, so I put her in a stall and fed her, then helped get the other horses to be fed. It was time-consuming but a lot of fun, as you learn about each horse when you are doing it.

Anyway, so I'm standing out of the barn with Erin, her daughter and Valerie, who owns Wren, mentioned below, and we hear a big whinny. I go up to the barn, and sure enough, it's Skye. On Friday she had been left alone, without other horses in view, but within the sound of my voice, but this time she was surrounded by horses in neighboring stalls. She wanted her mommy!

Of course, I know she really was just bored of being in the stall, but still. I loved it.

While I was there, Valerie got out her horse Wren. While I love all the horses out at the barn, and my only true favorite is Skye, I have to admit Wren is probably my second favorite. He is a registered Paint, though he is solid black with a blaze, and has foundation Quarter Horse bloodlines. He is just such a sweet horse, and so good-looking. Here he is:

Wren, his sweet self


See what I mean? You can feel the sweetness coming out of the picture! I also am a big fan of Cool, who appears below. Cool is a blue roan paint, and he is pretty big and stocky, but with that similar friendly disposition. Nice nice horses.

Cool in the pasture. He's even more awesome up close.


And speaking of nice horses, here is this sweetheart, Reebok.

Reebok. The flash did that to his eye.  I'm pretending it's a Halloween effect.


Skye sticks up for him in the pasture, but I think he wants more companionship. He comes to you and stands, waiting for you to rub him. I love him.

Tomorrow I hope to get on again. I hate to confess how extremely sore I was from Wednesday. Like groaning-when-I-climbed-the-stairs sore.

No comments:

Post a Comment