Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Real Live Ride

Here is what Skye looks like when I call to her from the van:


Coming to her mommy



I know. Perfection.

I called to her today from the van, and she immediately put her head up and came over, so I had to get out to give her a rub. Then I had to go get her halter, but she came right over to me again like she did the other day. Joy! I think to get her trotting to me I'd have to have the evil apple cookies on me a few times in a row. And as much as I would love to see her trotting to me, I have to be strong for both of us. She needs Apple Cookie Anonymous already; I don't need to make it any worse.

Anyway, I didn't have any intention of riding today because I wanted just to see her and then head back to the house and conquer some laundry or the mountain of papers, schoolwork and mail on the kitchen table, but it was just so beautiful. And I never promised to be June Cleaver.

After I had groomed her, I walked her around the big ring again. Then I wondered what I was doing fooling around on the ground when I could be riding, so I tacked her up in the ring. She acted like she had never seen the saddle pad again, so I spent a few minutes putting it on and off, slower, then faster; then I flapped it around, put it on my head and flapped it around like my head had big sweat-smelling wings with horsehair on them. At that point, she dropped her head and stuck it under the pad to look at me. Scared of that thing, my ass. I told her she should win an Oscar for pretending to scared of it. She had zero reaction to the saddle, which used to be the thing that really made her wig out.  She's so full of mularkey!

I don't tie her up this whole time because of the dramatic pullback problems I was having at the Greenway. So I'm basically ground tying her while I do this.  Once again, I wonder what she knows, as I made a show of putting the lead line on the ground. She stood like a statue, hardly even backing away when she was faking her fear of the saddle pad. Maybe she already knows that too, but I plan on teaching her that as well. I don't feel like it's really a safe thing to do often, but it might be useful at some time. She learns so fast that it won't be too much trouble.

Anyway, we walked a few times around the ring very relaxed. Too relaxed.  She had her head dropped and just kind of wandered. Since this was the first time in this ring, and the last few times I'd had her in a regular arena (instead of the round pen) she wanted to "jig" around at a trot or half trot, I was happy that she was cool with walking. After a few times around in each direction, I picked up the reins a little and put a little more leg on her in hopes of getting a nice working walk with some contact. She was fine with a little more contact and a little more leg, but not as responsive as I would like, as she didn't seem like she was really listening. So next time I wanted to add some exercises to get her giving to the bit with regularity.

We wove around some, did some nice bendy circles. She bends very nicely, thank you very much. I walked her over the ground poles set up, and she dragged across them. She didn't seem to recognize the purpose, which seemed odd as I am used to her popping up with knowledge I didn't expect. So, another thing to add to the list. (I confess I've been secretly hoping that she also has jumping experience. Shhh!)

Finally I got up the nerve to try a trot. It's not that I was worried she would do anything dangerous, but I was prepared for disappointment in getting her back to a walk. So we trotted, and as usual she sprang into a quick trot. It surprised me so I tried to bring her back down, and she resisted coming back to a walk. She kept trotting and tossing her head around, and I felt discouraged. But then I picked up by cuing her to trot again (basically pretending she was walking and trotting was my idea) and we trotted around the big arena about 3-4 times.

I'm sure I didn't look very graceful, and she had her head up and her ears somewhat back the whole time, but she did regulate her speed and stay on the rail where I wanted her to be. And after a few rounds of trotting, she was ready to walk again. I turned her around walked her some more, then trotted again and just kept at it a couple of times around. Then once again, she came back down to a walk pretty nicely.

So I was really pleased with her today. My riding could have been better, and I need to get the same attention from her under saddle that I am getting on the ground, but the fact that such an occurrence seems entirely possible is a big step. The thing that bothers me the most was her ears being back. She rarely puts her ears back so it's not a good sign. I'm going to test out her back again and make sure it's not a physical issue.

My goal will be to ride her 5 times this week for at least 45 minutes a day. That will be the most I have ridden her consistently, and I think it will make a big difference. Clinton Anderson says long rides and wet saddle blankets, consecutive days and standing time afterward for the horse to absorb what they learned.

On a sad note, Erin said that Ike wasn't doing so well. They suspect some kind of infection. He is a rescue that came in with some issues a year or so ago. He'd had to gain 1000 pounds. Yes, this big man had to gain a whole normal-sized horse. He is such a stunner and a sweetie. I'm hoping they can figure whatever it is out and get him as healthy as he deserves to be.

Here he is, deserving of all good things that can come to a horse.


Ike, an Incredible





No comments:

Post a Comment