Saturday, October 20, 2012

Hard Day's Work

Today Erin asked for some help in working on the trails on the barn property so Dave and I headed out there with the chain saw. We walked all over the place, and I was so pleased to see how big the area is to trail ride, and how nice the trails are.  The Greenway, where I moved Skye from, has over a thousand acres of really beautiful trails, so I'm hard to impress, but I think the ones we worked on today are great. They are wooded and peaceful, with nice flat ground and enough space to ride for a while in the woods. I can't wait to take Skye on a trail ride back there.

We were working our butts off most of the time we were out there, so I didn't get to either take pictures or play with my girl that much. However, at one point, the property backs up to a donkey farm. I knew about it already because the dinkies were taken there first, then brought over to our barn. But still I was delighted to look over and see some donkeys looking at me. They all looked very sturdy and serious about their hay-eating duties.

Donkeys. As opposed to dinkies.


The dark one you see in the admittedly-not-very-good picture is particularly good-looking, and when I came back over, he strolled over closer and looked at me like we were old friends. So he is now my favorite regular donkey even though because he is dark I could not see stripes on his legs. (I give him a free pass on this, even though the stripey legs are a big donkey selling point for me.)

I like donkeys, but for some reason when they are full size they aren't quite as charming. Utterly unfair, but there you have it. There were donkeys in the pasture next to Skye at the Greenway, and they seemed relatively personality-free, even though they were rather good-looking and amiable donkeys. They wouldn't go out of their way to notice you, but if you were close enough to pet them, you could. They didn't give a toot one way or another, so it elicited the same response from me. Not like the dinkies.

Yay! Dinkies!



Aahh. The dinkies.

When I got bored of watching Dave slice through huge logs and underbrush with the chainsaw (which didn't happen that often, as watching that is rather interesting),  I took some other pictures of the pasture action.

Here are The Incredibles in their spare time.

The Incredibles, chillin'.




Munchkin and Mistletoe. Mistletoe is stealthy back there.
And here are the miniature horses, Munchkin in the foreground, and Mistletoe at the hay. Skye was in a pasture with them at first, and they liked to hang out with her. I could kick myself for not getting a picture of them all. But even blurry, these two are adorable.



When we came back from working, Skye was in her stall having just been fed, so we got her out. I groomed her, loved on her and tended to her cuts. She was aloof to Dave, who she used to love, but I think it may just have seemed that way because she now concentrates her attention on me. Yay! Still, he could take her or leave her, so a little affection thrown his way would be a good idea. I'll have to talk to her about it. Since she listens to me so well and all.

Tomorrow, riding again!




No comments:

Post a Comment