Sunday, October 21, 2012

Almost a trot

After that long day of work, I came home, went to the grocery store, and took the boys to a haunted trail through the woods like I had promised. So although it was a fun day, it was exhausting, and today I was too tired to ride, and even considered not going out to the barn. But since I had spent so little time with my girl yesterday, I didn't want to lose another beautiful day.

So today I just went to see her, and figured we'd leave riding for tomorrow.  She looked up at me when I called to her from the van on the way in, but then went back to munching, so I didn't expect much today. Yet, when I went to get her, I called to her as soon as I got into her view. She put her head right up and came all the way over to me, a long way, at a real working walk, almost trotting. I just stood there, no doubt looking like The Joker with a big grin on my face, as she came up and practically put her nose in the halter. Of course, I know she really just wanted her cookies, but still. Almost a trot.  It felt like a victory.

gimme a cookie!

I was so tired I didn't do much with her except walk her around the big arena a couple of times. This is one of those things that looks like nothing but may be really useful. She got very alert in the ring, and I was happy to let her view everything from that perspective - the other horses, the location of the dinkies who wander cutely into a little grassy area beside the arena, the jumps etc. - while we were just walking on the ground. I then sent her around me on the line just at a walk to give her the message that walking in the ring was totally cool, which is something that she didn't seem to know.

Then I groomed her, loved on her, and put the boo boo goo in the all the cut places. I did make the mistake of giving her some apple cookies at the end. As I should have known, they made her crazy, but  I've decided to view it as an opportunity to command her attention when she is distracted. A little backing up and some firmness about the mouthiness cleared it up right away, but in the future I must reserve the apple cookies for only special occasions. Like when she is a good girl. Or when she looks particularly beautiful. On second thought, I'll just give them to her in her tub instead. Then we both win. I get to give her something she loves,  but she doesn't get to act like a spoiled brat about it.

Now to remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment