Saturday, February 23, 2013

Weekly Horse Fix

Despite the fact that it has been a week since I posted, I did get out to the barn Sunday and Wednesday. Although we had snow last Saturday, which now seems like years ago, the roads were totally clear by late Sunday morning, so I hustled on down to the barn to see my girl.

Skye and all the other horses were in their stalls, as there was still snow and ice in the pasture, and no one wanted snow packed into their hooves. I  know in colder climates horses don't get babied like this, but these horses are my friends and I say "baby away!" The real danger was probably the real possibility in slipping in all the mud if they decide to kick their heels up after being in the stalls all night.

Miss America herself, Leo, and sticking out at the end is
that strawberry girl, Ginger. Skye is doing her dignified pose here.


Skye was in her own stall with her evening gown on, and of course, was a very good girl. She let me know, after she frisked me for cookies, that she would prefer to be out, but she is so well-behaved in a stall. I went in there and hung out with her for a while. She actually quit mugging me for treats and just stood for a while with me.

Beside her is a new horse at the barn, and - prepare to be shocked - I love him. His name is Leo, and he is a 20 year old Thoroughbred who was rescued by Healing Horses and then adopted by none other than the wonderful Tammy, who is a fellow dinky lover. He had been at a co-op barn, and apparently there was some sort of drama going on, so she brought him over.  Here he is.

This is Leo. I love his kind eye and intelligent face.
Plus, he's a horse, which pretty much gets him into
my good graces immediately. I'm a pretty tough customer.

See what I mean? A big bay sweetheart. I told Skye I wish she could marry him. In reality, the last thing she needs is to get attached to another gelding, so I'm very happy that he is in the stall beside her, but in the mellow gelding pasture. Tammy and I hung out with him in his stall for a while too, and he was just a big lump of sugar. I had really liked the little buckskin who had been there before, but I have to say this boy has totally stolen my heart.

Speaking of heart stealing, here is a resident lover boy Bon Jovi, that dashing devil, with snow on his face.  Even snow can't diminish the dignity of that boy. He is very dearly loved by one of the barn girls who also happens to be a very good rider And he's a Steady Eddy on the trail. Not just a pretty face.

Bon Jovi doing his imitation of a snow man.



Speaking of pretty faces . . . .

Pretty, and apparently very thoughtful.


You knew that was coming.

And I was proud of Reebok, that sweet potato boy. He was being a good boy in his stall when I got there, so apparently he is getting better all the time. I told him that when the time changes and I can be out there in the evenings, we will get him back on track. As you can see, he is enthused about it.



If not enthused about training, then at least quite interested in the peppermint
I gave Taylor to hold out to get his ears up. Which is a kind of training.


Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at work were exhausting because I had a lot to do, and had a wicked cold. The kind of cold that makes you swear you will never take breathing through your nose for granted again. Nevertheless, I hustled down to the barn Wednesday evening because I needed my horse fix. Skye had just been fed, so I brought her in for some groomin' and grazin'.  The best part was just hanging around talking to everybody. Valerie was there riding around on Wren bareback. She has been taking some private lessons with a local trainer and says they are doing so well. Apparently Wren doesn't like the ring that much. That's always interesting to me since  all the horses I knew when I was growing up were used to ring work, but not to trails. It makes me remind myself that I need to remember to keep Skye good at both. I'm hoping I'll be able to take her on the trails around the barn soon.

I just hope I can ride her a little tomorrow, but I'll have to access the mud. It has rained so much this week that our backyard puddle makes it look like we have waterfront property.

The time changes March 10! Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment