Saturday, February 16, 2013

Snow Day!

I finally got to go see my girl today. This week was so busy, and then when I could go to the barn, the weather was crappy. I even got up early this morning to make sure I could get there, since the weather folks were calling for possible snow. This has happened a couple of times this year, so I didn't believe it. It was kind of sleeting when I left, but I figured I would bring her into the barn and at least spend some time with her. I didn't care if I got cold and wet.

Sure enough, on the way down there, it started snowing so I got to see my girl in the snow.  Of course, it was too warm for anything to stick but since the weather called for more snow in the afternoon and cold temperature, we brought all the horses in. I brought my beautiful girl in first, and she was wet and slightly pitiful, but not feeling sorry for herself. As I was putting her halter on her, I breathed into her nose and when I breathed in I got a good whiff of her horsey smell. Eau de Skye! It struck me how much I missed being with her, and it had only been five days. Pitiful.

Then I brought in the rest of the horses in her pasture, with Reebok bringing up the end. He was so sweet, and I gave him some extra attention. He was a little pushy being brought in, but considering the rest of his herd was in already and he wanted to be fed, he was actually pretty good. He wanted to go faster than I did, but he didn't crowd me and he did slow down when I said "easy." He didn't like being in the stall for long worth a damn though. He whinnied a few times, and when I just looked him he stopped. (Most likely because he wanted to, but I'm pretending it was because he was embarrassed to be whinnying for his herd, when I, an honorary herd member, was right there.)

Then we filled the hay bags so the evening feeders could just replace the bags. I love hay. I love the rectangular bales and the way it smells like Spring. We got them all filled, and had everybody all set, and I even had time to just hang out with Skye in her stall. After she had thoroughly checked out that I had no more treats, she just stood there with me, looking pretty.

She can't hardly believe it. This wasn't taken
today, as my case for my new iPhone hasn't arrived
yet, and I'm paranoid that  I will drop it and break it.
 It's still a funny, if untimely, picture.


After I got home, I did some housework and took a nap, planning to go the store for the makings for lasagne when I got up. So I got up, put some laundry in, and looked outside. Snow! For real. So then I had to go drive to the store before it got bad, because that's what Southerners do when it snows. When I got back, it was in full swing. Yay!

The house with snow. An unusual sight.


Of course tomorrow at the barn will be all about scooping poop out of the stalls since the horses will be in all night. Still, I feel better knowing Skye is in a warm stall tonight.

The only damper on the day was that Erin told me she has decided to re-home the dinkies. They are not free to keep, and she needs ones that will be friendly to everyone, not just me. I know she will find them a good safe home, but it breaks my heart. I love them so.

How will I live without them? They look
misleadingly large here, as I took this sitting down.
Unfortunately, they won't do this with anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment