Sunday, April 28, 2013

Another Hard Good-bye

Well, Saturday and Sunday have been tough for me this week. I headed out on Saturday, determined to get on that girl, work on loosening and strengthening her back and maybe helping to catch the lonely dinky (who remains elusive despite hours of chasing and attempts to catch him by others). As soon I got there, Erin told me, so I would know, that some people were coming out to see Reebok and that they sounded like they wanted to take him. Since he trusts me, I volunteered to get him out and show off  his best behavior. She thanked me, as apparently that is exactly what she was hoping I would say, as she had a bunch of trail riders coming in and her usual busy Saturday.

The people arrived, and I was so relieved because they honestly couldn't have been nicer. A mom-age (45 years old maybe?) woman, her 12 year old daughter and another daughter who seemed around 10. They were really nice, and loved the way that boy looked. And boy, he was extra nice. I called to him to get him in, even though we couldn't see him from the gate, and wouldn't you know he came boogying up with his cute little gait and met us at the gate. The family was charmed, as the lady said she had always had to chase their horses to get them. I could happily tell her that catching Reebok is about as difficult as catching a potato. He sighed and nuzzled me (in a sweet, not disrespectful way) and they fell in love with him.

Who would not be charmed?


I worked him around in the round pen for a little bit, and he backed and came back to me beautifully, then went to the end of the line at a nice walk. I could not get him to go any faster than a walk though, and he kept coming in to me. So I loved on him, and told the folks that his doing this was entirely my fault, as I am not firm enough with him because I don't have the backbone to be anything but sweet to him. They could tell this was true. They came in and loved on him, and he just loved it.

Erin got back and tacked him up and rode him a little, and he did great. I then felt very foolish that I had not pressed harder for her to do it sometime I was there so I could have ridden him. I've never ridden an "unbroken" horse before; I guess I was just reluctant. Then the lady rode him and after a false start or two (he could tell she wasn't confident, as it had been years since she had ridden), he did great for her too. They were such nice people, but I have to say I have reservations just because he will be alone where they are. Erin says he will be better off because he will bond with them better, but it breaks my heart to think of him all alone.

He couldn't bear to see me cry.

Before I left yesterday, I went out to say good-bye to him, and it just tore me up. He was just as sweet as a puppy to me, so much more affectionate than Skye has ever been.  Rip, Lisa and Craig were all there admiring the awesomeness of Cowboy, and I thought their presence would keep my tears at bay. It did not, and I've been crying in secret off and on all weekend.

In any case, they decided to take him and were to pick him up today. It was pouring down rain all day, and in a way I'm glad I wasn't there. The bottom line is that he was not my horse, and since I couldn't afford a second board, he had to go and make room for a horse Erin could use on trails and in the membership program. I just wish I hadn't let myself get so attached. My attachment to him did him some good though, because he is much easier to handle now.

Before I said good-bye though, I did get to mess around a little with my girl. She came up to me in the pasture again, which is a relief (I don't know if it was Leo or spring grass she was hesitant to leave last week). And she was a good girl. I groomed her quickly, which is a lot easier now that she is shed out and sleek again. Then I tacked her up and led her over the ground poles in the ring several times. Amy, who is the mother of twin girls who own Chloe and a good rider in her own right, asked what I was doing and I told her I was working on loosening and strengthening Skye's back.

Lo and behold if she didn't come over and check Skye for soreness and tightness. Amy is a physical therapist and proceeded to point out different muscle groups that tighten and cause soreness. She stretched out that girl's legs and massaged her  in several places and Skye just loosened right up on the spot. We found a sore spot, and Amy told me stretches I could do with her head to help it. Skye was so cute as she relaxed. Then I got on and went over the poles on her a couple of times. Then she stepped on herself and ripped her left front shoe right off. Durn. Thankfully, it came off cleanly and didn't seem to harm her foot in any way.

I am dreading the Reebok-shaped hole I will see in the pasture from now on out there, but I feel like Skye and I are getting somewhere at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment