Wednesday, April 24, 2013

As the Pasture Turns

I drove up today and saw the beautiful Symphony standing in Skye's pasture and I knew that the pasture changeover had taken place. The gates were closed so I parked next to the pasture. As soon as I got out of the van, Skye was nickering me and pacing in front of the gate. Girlfriend was unhappy, and wanted me to do something about it. I took some carrots and headed over there.

She was so busy nickering that at first she didn't even eat the carrots (which is saying something because that woman likes her food). She gave me a meaningful look then trotted over to the corner closest to the far pastures (which is still at least an acre away, as her pasture is across the dirt road from the barn). From the way she was looking, I could guess about where he was, and sure enough, I heard him call to her. My heart broke for them, even while I was pleased that she seemed to want to connect with me about her distress. I'm sure I'm anthropomorphizing (which I frankly don't have too much of a problem with, since we are continually learning how much more animals are like us), but she really seemed to think I would help her.

And I feel guilty because I do really want this pasture change, as her happiness with that boy was causing some problems. Saturday I rode that girl, and while she was okay, she was very distracted. Sunday was worse. I had very little time but I want to get her in better shape, so I lunged her a little at liberty. She was distracted and nervous, and basically acting like a nutty mare. She whinnied for Leo a couple of times, and it was all I could do to keep her attention on me. She cantered around of her own accord. So I then kept her at it as I want her to know that if she breaks gait, she has committed herself to a good bit of going at that gait. I didn't stress her out though, and she was relieved to come in but basically seemed discombobulated. Finally, I checked under her tail, and sure enough, she was in heat. That explains a lot, but the bond with Leo made her behavior even worse. When I put her back in with him, she backed her butt up to him, lifted her tail, then spread her back legs and peed, making sure he'd get a good whiff of whatever hormonal action she had going on. He sniffed her all over. Love, love, love.

Feel the love. More precious because they were soon to be separated.


But as I said, he doesn't pay her board, and I need a horse I can work with. In light of the change of pasture, I didn't do much with her tonight other than check her out and fly spray her. By Saturday, she should be in better shape.

In similar news, Reebok and Ginger have been split up as well, and they are both fit to be tied.  Ginger was all over me, anxious and wanting attention bad enough to risk the head swings and ear pins that Skye was throwing her way.  When I went to the new gelding pasture to visit Leo and Reebok and see the new horse Cowboy, Reebok practically mobbed me. He walked right up with I swear what could only be an imploring look on his face. He associates me with that pasture where he was so happy with his woman. The feeders told me he got loose twice and sprinted over to her pasture. So very sad, but he is not allowed such behavior. It's dangerous. Nevertheless, all the geldings in that pasture seem to get along, so the choice of herd dynamics (which Erin is very conscious of and good at predicting) is a good one.

Pining for his Ginger.
Behold the magnificence of Cowboy.

Blade and Gray, the Switzerland of pasture wars were fine. I gave them both a carrot just for being so excellent.

Speaking of excellence. Rip, a great guy out at the barn (his wonderful wife Lisa owns Dakota), just got his own horse. He is a 16.2 hand tri-color paint, and he is fabulous as you can see.

And sweet. I was telling him what a looker he is and he came right over.


Well, hello there Handsome!


And speaking of coming over, we need Echo to give it up and allow himself to be caught. I called him over, and he came to see me, but I couldn't touch him. I didn't have carrots so I didn't expect to, but from what I understand everyone has given up until I can catch him. I'm betting if I feed him some carrots on Friday and again on Saturday morning. I'll be able to make a grab for him Saturday afternoon. I won't feel bad now, as I will be helping him get back to his sons, who I know he must be missing.


Yes, I'm being swished off by the last
dinky standing.


On a final note, my good friends Munchkin and Mistletoe are back up at the main barn. How I love them. I have instructed them they are to take the dinkies' place in my heart. They are no doubt up to the task.

Riled and ready for my undaunted affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment