Friday, January 25, 2013

Cold Horses

Today we had a weather event. In the Carolinas, a weather event means basically that we have a winter day similar to what other parts of the country (and the world for that matter) take for granted as a winter day. In our defense, it is rather icy and therefore treacherous on the roads, made more so by the inexperience of us non-wintry folks on the road. Which is a long way to say I didn't make it out to see my girl today because the roads got too icy before I could go. I slid on ice on a bridge and my wheel hit the curb, wrecking my rim and making my tire flat.

I got out there briefly yesterday and unwrapped the leg. The lump looked bigger to me than it did the day before (owing to my wrap instead of the vet's?) but not as big as before. I re-wrapped it, and even did it twice, but I didn't feel like my wrap was as good as before. I'm using a different padding, and I'm just not as competent with the thicker pad. But, she will be in for about 20 hours, so she'll get some true stall rest on it. Of course, she'll be in a charming mood tomorrow for it.

I'm thinking about her being chilly, despite the blanket and the stall. I'm worried about her feeling antsy, or not having enough hay or water. Because, of course, worrying about things keeps those things from happening. Doesn't it?

I'm thinking about her in the cold weather wishing she was outside looking like this:




Skye on a warmer day, no doubt wondering why I'm not
producing a cookie.
But I'm very grateful I have her someplace where she has a stall and people who will check on her for me when I cannot.  All the horses are in tonight, so tomorrow will be a poop scoopin' day. It will probably be in the 50's though, and the truth is I don't mind scooping poop. Cleaning the bathroom at home however, is another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment