Wednesday, January 23, 2013

No fracture!

Yay! The vet texted me first thing this morning with the news that there is no fracture in her leg. We didn't really think there was one, but it is a relief to know for sure. So instead of doing all the housework and work work that I needed to do, I hustled on down to the barn to see how the lump looked.

It's a good thing I got there, as my girl and her buddy Gray were still in their stalls. (Feeder had not put them in the round pen, and Erin is out of town.) I expected Skye to be very antsy, but she was perfect. I  put her out in the pen with her buddy and gave them their hay bags, and they were pretty happy together. I just went in there and loved on her a little, and she seemed happy about it. She may be blaming me for the stall time, but she also recognizes me as the one who takes care of her as well.

Here is Skye, either blaming me or recognizing my
tender loving care. Hard to tell.


I noticed yesterday how very affectionate Reebok is, and how I rub all over him and am affectionate in return. Skye is more reserved (she is a queen, after all), but I wondered if I am reserved with her too. So today I was exuberant with my love with her as I am with Reebok. She responded, but just as I expected her to, she was happy to get rubbed, but still a little aloof. The girl's got her dignity. Fortunately, I have none when it comes to horses so I'm perfectly happy to make a fool of myself over her and have her blow me off. So everybody's happy.

Anyway, I unwrapped the leg and ta-da - the lump is almost completely gone. The mysterious up and down lump. I let her wander in the round pen with her naked leg for about 20-30 minutes, then brought her back in to groom her and re-wrap it. I don't like the padding I got for her (at the vet's direction), so I'm going to pick up some quilting instead. I didn't like the first wrap I did, as it felt too loose to do anything so I did it again and felt pretty good about it. I'm getting pretty good at it! I'm very good at rolling the polos up as well. Why am I happier about that than I am about professional accomplishments? Clearly, horse fever messes with your brain.

I ended staying out far too long AGAIN, but I also made progress with my dinky doodles. I went in to love on them and they all stood up (they had been lounging in cat-like poses on the ground) and almost trotted over to me. Each got their cookie, though Zulu dropped his, as usual. Bravo came over for his long back scratching and leaned on me just like my dogs do. I rubbed him all over, and got a couple of good pets on Echo's head as well. My next strategic move will be to get someone else to pet those two while I try to get Zulu, the low man in the herd, to warm up. Stay tuned. Dinky drama!

The three wise men. Echo, Bravo and Zulu, from left to right.
Admire them at your peril.  They induce intense feelings of love
in a short time.


No comments:

Post a Comment