Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Yay, no X-ray!

So today the weather was really crappy, but since Skye would be in the barn still on her modified stall rest, I didn't mind. It's nice to have an excuse to hang out in the barn talking to her and Erin and smelling the hay and shavings, and a little poop (which never hurt anybody).

It cleared up for long enough to put her in the round pen for a little while before the vet got there. When she did, I went and got that girl and she took a look. After complimenting me on my wrap of her leg (hurray! It was as good as I thought), she said she was really pleased with the shrinkage. It may never completely go away, but it looked good enough that it didn't need an X-ray. Even better, she can go out for half days with splint boots on her front legs, staying in at night. That's particularly good because the weather is going to be really rainy and cold tomorrow night, so I won't even have to worry about her. Then, if everything goes right, I can probably start my conditioning walk rides again next week! That's right; I may actually get to ride my horse.

I had to run out to the country store to get that girl some splint boots. So now she has swanky new boots. Naturally she was a good girl when I put them on in the stall. Then I hung out by the door with her and spoke to Rip, Lisa and Erin with my girl chewing hay beside me. It may not look like much to a non-horse person, but that kind of peaceful companionable moment is why I wanted a horse of my own.

My horse. Mine. Mine. Mine.
And she's pretty.


Before I left, I asked about when we might work with Reebok again, and Erin said next time we have good weather. Which will probably be Friday. And she thinks he's ready to be ridden, so I might get on that boy. We will probably have her lead/lunge with me on his back, just working on forward motion, stopping and turning. I'll also work with him while she is out of town. I can't wait to see what that funky little gait of his feels like.

Surely someone who allows himself
to get so dirty would not be fastidious
enough to throw someone off his back.


Oh, and it might snow tomorrow night! I would love to see my girl in the snow, but it would probably be gone before I could get out there. Oh well.

2 comments:

  1. Jayne, that's great news! so glad to hear that Skye is improving. After Dixie's ordeal last year, I can totally relate to what you are going through. Trust me when I tell you...your relationship with Skye will improve because of this. She knows you're taking care of her! You're doing a great job and you should be so proud of yourself and your beautiful mare.

    Enjoy the snow!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. It looks like fate has thrown me more opportunity to prove I care. The lump is back, and she's back on stall rest. I will keep thinking of you and Dixie to keep my chin up!

      Delete