Monday, December 31, 2012

Grrrr! Again.

So I get all excited on Saturday with my big plans to tack up that girl and take a stroll around the arena for the first time in months. Then my hopes were dashed when I saw that by the time I got to the barn mid-afternoon, no one was there. No one. The place was totally locked up. I wasn't about to ride my quick-footed girl for the first time in months all by myself, but I figured it's been a few months, so waiting another day won't be the end of the world.

Except when I went to get my girl out of the pasture for a little TLC, this was what her leg looked like.

See bump on the left side (inside of her left foreleg).
Damn thing.


Yeah, I'm talking about the weird bump between her knee and fetlock. It's about the size of a half a walnut, and slightly soft, meaning not bony but not squishy either. It's not particularly hot, and it doesn't seem to bother her. At all. Not when I mash it (which I only do gently, as I don't want to hurt her or damage her) and not when she puts weight on that leg. I watched her and she puts full weight on it, both at rest and in motion. So what is it?

I did some Internet research, and it sounded at first like it could be a "splint," which is a bump that arises from damage to the splint bone in the leg. However, those are a lot more common in young horses and Girlfriend is fast approaching 13.  Another thing I read made me think it could be a burst blood vessel, but it didn't feel as squishy as that sounded.

I showed it to Erin the next day, who basically agreed that we don't know what the devil it is, so I need to call the vet. But it's the holiday, so it will be after tomorrow, as I don't know for sure what my schedule is for Wednesday. So, dammit, I don't think I should get on her again until we know at least what it is.

On the positive side, I've been just bringing Skye in and loving on her, and she seems to enjoy it. She is still meeting me at the gate and being perfect about being led in and groomed. While this doesn't sound like much, I keep remembering that not too long ago she didn't even want to come in from the pasture at the Greenway. And not long after that, she didn't relax in cross ties, particularly the one in the entrance to the barn. Now she is cool as a cucumber. Or actually pretty toasty. I've been worrying about her as it is getting chillier, but dealing with her yesterday I could feel that she is pretty good at generating her own heat. I was cuddling up to her as she was a lot warmer than I was. She seemed to know what I was doing, and didn't mind at all.

You would not know from this picture that she is a snuggle bunny.


Also, Erin was doing some ground work with Reebok (or as I call him, Sweet Meat), and mentioned she wished she had more time to work with him. I told her I would have some time coming up and would be happy to work with him. She took me up on it! I am going to start doing ground work on him and get on his back as soon as possible. She wants to make him available to the barn members but can't do it until he has been ridden more. And he is gaited, so it should be interesting.


See? Interesting. He looks like a tank here.
A muddy tank. But sweet.



I'm pulling out my books and looking at them in a new way since he clearly does not have the good background that my girl has, and his personality is completely different. Skye is rather confident and even proud. Reebok is quite shy, with people and horses, and is more tentative. I am also going to assume that he is probably not quite as bright as she is, mostly because I haven't met that many horses that are. And he is the low man on the totem pole in the pasture, so his demeanor will be different. The good thing is that since he has been in that pasture, I have always sought him out to pet him or to give him a treat so he already trusts me. Yesterday, he spooked when he stepped on his lead line and came right over the pasture where I had let Skye out, and he came right to me.  I'm really looking forward to working with him. I already love him so.

Speaking of love, I also love this guy.

He is actually a lot cuter than his picture shows.
See his most excellent buckskin dapples.

This is Smoke'em, a little buckskin paint who is privately owned by an awesome kid who loves him like nobody's business and who is just great with him. I don't see her out there much, but she is a very talented little horsewoman. I like him mostly because he is cute, and he has a sweet spirit.

A little more cuteness from Skye's pasture.

Chloe. Very pretty girl. Her attitude is improving
by leaps and bounds lately.

Happy New Year! Fresh starts all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment