Sunday, December 16, 2012

Still out of commission

So I was terribly busy wrapping things up for the holidays, and only managed to see my girl Wednesday and Saturday.  She has completed her shots, her feet are now pretty even and striking correctly, and yet, damn it (!) she is still lame. Today rather than trust my judgment alone, I had several people watch me trotting her, and it was unanimous. She is lame.

Later Craig from the barn felt around her back, and he found a definite tender spot the right side of her back, whereas it is the left hind leg that she appears to be favoring. I don't know if this is good or bad, as her gait could be causing the soreness in her back, or straining her back could be making her limp and bob her head. In any case, I need to get the vet out there and really talk to her. The bute she was on months ago helped, but that is not a long term solution. Needless to say, I am very very frustrated and discouraged. Just when I was making progress with her, I can't get back on her back.

She was great in the round pen on Wednesday, but slightly obnoxious in the cross ties. She was pretty good all around today, but is still trying to slam down her foot when I'm cleaning it. She is always coming to me in the pasture. We also enjoy our grazing time before I put her up. There is a lovely green patch near her pasture with grass and clover so lush and green, it makes me want to try a little myself. She loves it more than apple cookies, and we can be together for a few minutes. I have noticed that I am more and more comfortable with her, but I would love the opportunity to get more comfortable with her on her back too! Ugh.

In brighter news, I visited the mini pasture to day to visit my favorite little guys and little girl.

Here is the dinky duty of the day picture. Please hold your applause.

Even their little Eyeore butts are cute.


And here is the sole female in that pasture, looking a bit like a billy goat, her boyfriend looking on.

Nice 'do, Mistletoe!



Munchkin also remained on hand in case any cookies were in danger of going to waste.


Ready, willing and able to eat a cookie.
As evidenced by his considerable girth.


Several of my favorite people were out there today, so I still had a great time, but I am getting really tired of never being able to ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment