Thursday, December 6, 2012

Temptation Alley

Monday, Erin texted me to let me know the farrier was there to shoe Skye. She later let me know she had been a good girl and that the farrier says her feet appear to be striking evenly. Tuesday I ran out to the barn (though I had hardly any time) to see that girl and give her the shot. She was wonderful, as usual. I had no time to work her to check the lameness, but she looked good at the walk.

I had a similar time crunch today but I just wanted to see her, so down I went. As I pulled up the gravel road, Skye saw me and walked quickly to the fence to see me. She knows at the very least that I will roll down the window and sweet talk her. Today I happened to have some peppermints that were put in my lunch bag, and I had no one behind me, so I hopped out and handed her a peppermint. She loves them, and makes such funny faces with her tongue. I got back in the car and started toward the barn, and she trotted alongside the van! So cute. I was driving so I couldn't really see her gait to judge lameness, but I have all my fingers crossed that we will be able to see a sound girl tomorrow.

No one was there at all today, as it was the middle of the day, and the weather was chilly and cloudy. I wasn't all that interested in messing around with her with no one around. (I'm such a snob now. I used to be alone all the time dealing with her.) And, I recognized that if I played my cards right, I could go home a different way and go the way I call "Temptation Alley." So I visited Skye in the pasture and loved on her a little, then jumped in the car and headed home the long way.

There are two reasons I call the long way home Temptation Alley. The first is the Carolina Country Store which is on the right on the highway. It's a feed store that sells a small selection of horse stuff, so it counts as a tack shop to me! I try to avoid it because it's one of the few places I will buy things I absolutely don't need, just because. It's crazy. And today, sadly, was no different. I bought Skye some of the carrot cookies, an extra hoof pick and a long bristled brush that I really liked and really didn't need. But I did get one thing that could count as a need, assuming Skye is sound again, or will be in the near future - some winter riding gloves.

Here they are:

My new neato riding gloves.
Can I pull off a zebra print? We'll see.


They fit perfectly and have a suede-like palm and fingers. And they are funky.  They are not really made for very cold weather, but we don't usually have very cold weather, and when we do I don't ride in it. And they are nice and grippy. I can't wait to try them. I also helped a local business, which is always good too.

So I drove away feeling happy, and even strong enough to withstand the second temptation:

I'm talking, of course, about Krispy Kreme.
And the hot doughnuts light was ON.



Yup. I drove right past it! Between that and not buying Skye some of her apple cookies, it is clear that I am made of steel.

No comments:

Post a Comment